Background

A long time ago, I created a fictional world called Cartha-dhaal for role playing using Dungeons and Dragons. Originally I had started drafting a book, with a story about finding oneself (woven into the fantasy world), and with the help of some friends, and the exceptional artist Ed Isackson, created real-life miniatures of the original characters from this story.

For more than ten years, our weekly games had players travelling the length and breadth of this world and I enjoyed every moment of it. Each player brought a unique insight into the world and my imagination soared across this fictional world. It was another wonderful part of life.

Recently I came across Unity, a game engine capable of building 3D worlds, and wondered if I could recreate the world, or scenes from our stories, or possibly even write the original story as a playable game. So for the fun of it, I'm spending my weekends playing with the Unity engine and learning the basics.

Hopefully in the next few months I'll figure out enough to understand what is possible and perhaps even put some of this world into a game that others can share. The real trick will be to recreate the mystery and excitement, tension, joy and other emotions we experienced as a group whilst playing in this world.

Comments